One Hand Revolver Reload

Yay!

The sun was out, and so was I. Went to the range and did more revolver work based on Southnarc’s PDF on the snubbie.  Watching the video, my biggest challenge will be maintaining movement and scanning my surroundings for possible threats.

I can already hear the folks crying, “MOOOON CLIPPPPS!”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Firearms, gear, Just Me, video

10 Comments on “One Hand Revolver Reload”

1. April 2, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Moon clips? It did not look like you were shooting something that required moon clips. I would think speed loaders are the way to go, one of the best investments you can make if you carry a revolver.

Please, fully explain the technique you were using to open the cylinder and eject the spent casings.

Thanks,
    Glenn B

• April 4, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

I’ve received a few email suggesting moon clips. I went ahead and anticipated those remarks.

You can actually get your revolver machined for moonclips. One shop that appears to do it very well is TK Custom.

I agree with you that speed loaders, or speed strips are the way to go. It’s about $200 to get it machined, moon clips, etc. It works for me, so I just train to it.

1) Use your thumb to activate the cylinder release.
      2) Position your index finger on the cylinder to press it out.
      3) Maintain index finger on the cylinder and reposition thumb on the spine of the revolver, or side of the hammer for support.
      4) Jerk your elbow into your side – the inertia of the brass should allow them to fly out of each chamber. This only happens if you keep your gun CLEAN and free of carbon. If you’re shooting a .357 chambered revolver and fire .38 special rounds, don’t expect that gun to release those .357 casings with ease.
      5) Stuck casings can be jettisoned by fingering the ejection rod and elbowing yourself again. If the casing won’t budge, you must press the cylinder rod against your side. Back side of your shoe may also be considered.

2. rhinoaz
    April 3, 2012 at 9:56 am #

Nice work. Moon clips are overrated for concealed carry. They get bent in your pocket while concealed carrying. Why modify a perfectly good revolver? If you are so worried about reloading, carry a NY reload, train more, or carry a hicap autoloader.

If it pops off, or you live in columbia, then a good hicap autoloader would be the order of the day. In today’s civilized society, a good 5/6 shot snub with a speed strip or speedloader is sufficient for self defense

• April 4, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

Thanks, AZ.

Overrated? Probably. It has been related to me that the TK Custom moonclips are well made and resist bending; I did entertain the idea, but I think the buy in cost isn’t worthwhile.

I should do a video on the NY reload. I’ve done a few drills that are just as messy. ROLF.

3. April 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Nice video. Way more graceful than my attempt at 1 handed reloads.

• April 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Thanks, Mike! Believe me, it looked even uglier before I had this filmed. haha.

4. April 16, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Interesting, of course normal speed loaders (instead of speed strips) would have cut your time even more.

5. westczek
    May 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

Moon clips and speed loaders don’t fit flat in your pocket like speed strips. A speed loader is like having a golfball in your front pocket.

6. John
    May 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Derek, what holster are you using for that S&W j-frame? It looks like it’s you Archangel holster for your LCR.

Will your Archangel molded for the LCR fit the j-frames too?

BTW – I recently found your site, and I really enjoy it. It looks like we might haunt the same forums and read the same authors. Good stuff!

• May 16, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

Howdy, John.

It’s an Archangel for the LCR, nor for a J frame. A J frame fits, but not very well, It’s good enough to use for holstered training, but wouldn’t recommend this practice for actual carry.

Thanks for stopping by! Wish I had more time to post, but it’s always great to hear the info is valuable to others.

Derek