Black Dog Machine’s Ruger Mark Series Holster

ruger mark series holster gun photography

Picture idea courtesy of Oleg Volk.

Our new holster can be used in a right or left configuration, can be used with any top rail optics, can support under the barrel rails, fits silencers, internally silenced barrels, bull barrels, slab sides and standard. It also is adjustable for retention. Comes with a high or low ride molded belt loop and fits Ruger mark 1-2-3 and large and small frame 22/45’s.

This is about the most universal holster ever made!”

Kevin Rich kindly gave me a Black Dog Machine Ruger holster to try out.  Unaware of this new product before SHOT Show 2010, I was excited to give this a go.

ruger mark series holsterruger mark series holster side

Casual or competitive shooters who have to use a holster with retention can now secure their .22 Ruger to their hip – and it works like a charm.  Retention can be adjusted utilizing a Phillips screwdriver.  With that same screwdriver, lefties can also take advantage of BDM’s product by switching the loops on the other side.  The holster allows optics, but will not fit Ruger’s factory base.  You must purchase a Tactical Solutions base or modify your existing one.  Also, if you have a Ruger Mark series pistol with thumb rest hand grips, you’re going need to buy new flat ones.  It will not fit.

I’m pretty short at 5’6″ with an average torso, so I may prefer the lower riding paddle.  Otherwise, it feels secure with a standard riggers belt or a Liger gun belt.  Retention adjustment is simple; you can may unholster your pistol with your pants attached to it, or not.  Then there’s that happy medium everyone will figure out.

The holster is pretty straightforward.  You either need it, or you don’t.  The question, “do I want one” is already answered because I’ve done that for you.  Yes – you do.

Tags: , ,

14 Comments on “Black Dog Machine’s Ruger Mark Series Holster”

1. Jay Hafemeister
    May 13, 2010 at 7:42 am #

will a left handed version be forthcoming???

• May 13, 2010 at 9:57 am #

A left handed version is available. Just buy it and configure accordingly.

2. matt toussant
    May 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

Can the holster be adapted for a browning camper? If not have you heard that they will offer a similar holster for the camper in the future?

3. Derek
    February 4, 2011 at 3:55 am #

I just ordered this holster for my mk3 slabside. I see that you say it will not accommodate the thumbshelf grips. I cannot for the life of me see why the holster would not work with the factory thumbshelf grips. In all the pictures I have seen, it appears that the grip panels are entirely exposed and should not make any contact with the holster at all. Am I missing something here? Also, I read on the post from Jan, 19 that the holster has been revised to allow use of the factory supplied sight rail from Ruger and will not mar the finish on my suppressor. Since I have the factory thumbrest grips, the factory rail with a red dot, and will be using a 1″ suppressor, I am very curious as to whether this holster will work in its current configuration. All the TacSol products I have used in the past have been top notch, so I really hope that my factory stock pistol will fit properly in this holster. Any feedback would be very welcome, and will probably prove useful for other mk series owners that find your web page. Thanks for the reviews, and I will definitely be back to your page in the future,

• February 5, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Factory? That I am uncertain. I borrowed a MK stainless steel hunter series pistol from a buddy, which had a set of thumbshelf grips. If I recall correctly, the thumbshelf interferes with complete seating of the pistol. I recall this inference is located right behind the trigger.

Regarding any modifications to the new holster to accommodate thumb rest gripsf, I am uncertain of that as well.

Sorry I couldn’t be of additional help.

• Derek
        February 9, 2011 at 2:13 am #

Thanks for replying so quickly. UPS dropped off my holster today, and I couldn’t be more pleased with it. You are correct that I did have to modify it slightly to accept my factory sight rail and the factory thumbshelf grips. They are the half-checkered coco-bolo grips that were offered on the mk3 stainless slabside with the 6-7/8″ barrel. I also run a volquartsen extended slide release that would not clear the holster either. Fortunately the high quality material from which this holster is made was very easy to reshape with a dremel and an assortment of files. I simply trimmed material away at contact points until I had a nice snug fit, then smoothed all the surfaces. I even beveled the edges that the gun must pass to enter the holster, which gave it a funneling effect when I am holstering the weapon. I am running a cheap BSA reflex sight (which I’ve had very good luck with once I tightened the lens retention collars) on a factory rail that has been shortened by about 1/2″, and even with the little bit of trimming required to make it all fit properly the retention is excellent. The material was so easy to work with that it hardly looks modified at all. My 1″ suppressor does drag a bit more than I would like on the holster’s barrel channel as I present from the holster, and if I decide to carry it more while suppressed, I may carefully sand the ridges down that surround the barrel until I get a snug fit. I will likely get the low-ride bracket as drawing the pistol while suppressed requires a very long upward movement of my arm before the suppressor clears the holster. All in all, I couldn’t be more pleased with this holster, and I thank you for doing your review of it, as it convinced me to make this purchase. Oh, and I posted previously that I was happy with TacSol products (and I am) but then realized that even though they sell this holster they are actually manufactured by Black Dog Machine.

4. CRAIG
    March 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

IS THIS HOLSTER MADE OF PLASTIC? COULD IT CRACK IF DROPPED? DOES IT HAVE A SOFT LINING TO HELP PROTECT FROM SCRATCHING THE BARREL? CAN A 4 3/4 INCH BARREL BE SNUG FIT IN THE HOLSTER HOW MUCH ARE THEY? LOOKS LIKE A GOOD DESIGN, ESPECIALLY IF A SCOPE CAN BE MOUNTED ON THE GUN & CARRIED!….CRAIG, GRASS VALLEY CA.

• March 17, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

The plastic is Kydex. It’s a durable plastic, but like all other material, it should be expected material will wear over time or subject to breakage when abused. Mine has not cracked.

No soft lining. The holster has minimal direct contact to the barrel. Barrel size is irrelevant, it fits to the frame, so a 4 3/4″ bbl will fit fine.

$38-$43 as of 3/17/2012.

• CRAIG
        April 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

JUST BOUGHT ONE, HOW CAN YOU BEAT IT, LEFT,OR RIGHT HANDED,SITS HIGH OR LOW ON YOUR BELT, ADJUSTABLE TIGHTNESS ON THE INDIVIDUAL FRAME, FITS SCOPES & LASER POINTERS,WATERPROOF, WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR? …AND IT IS GOOD LOOKING!…GREAT WELL THOUGHT OUT DESIGN…I’LL TRY PUTTING SOME COTTON BACKED TAPE TO PROTECT THE FRAME FROM EXCESS WEAR …THANKS’ THEY MUST BE POPULAR, THEY ARE ON BACK ORDER FROM THE DEALER I BOUGHT IT FROM- CRAIG GRASS VALLEY

5. Folly
    June 18, 2012 at 8:12 am #

thanks for this review. Do you think it would interfere with the 22/45 Railed version? this has a picatinny rail to accept attachments below the barrel.

1. Anonymous - May 11, 2010

[…] Pics and a report. Looks quite sharp. […]

2. There is a first time for everything « Curtis Lowe - May 11, 2010

[…] You’re welcome.  Hat tip to Unc who saw it first here. […]

3. | Night Vision & AR-15 Scope Mounts - May 14, 2010

[…] Pics and a report. Looks quite sharp. […]

4. Tactical Solutions/Black Dog Machine « The Packing Rat - January 19, 2011

[…] also discussed some changes he made to the Ruger MK series holster.  The older version was not capable of utilizing the factory Ruger rails and scratched some […]