Solid Citizens [/sarcasm]

I was observing a classroom today to satisfy admission requirements for a teaching credential.  This isn’t my first experience observing a classroom , but I’m still baffled by the words these students speak.  I know I was an idiot in high school [I continue to have my moments], but I’m frightened to think I was this stupid.

Teacher:  You don’t know who Colin Powell is?

Student:  No

Teacher:  Are you serious?  Aren’t you a senior?

Student:  Uh, yeah.

Teacher:  Oh my God.  I can’t believe you’re going to be eligible to vote.

Student:  Huh?  Isn’t Powell a skateboard company?

Though it’s not unusual for students to wonder who the stranger is standing in front of the classroom, the questions are:

Student:  Who is that guy in front?  Is he a sub?

Teacher:  I don’t know why he’s here.  He just showed up. [/sarcasm]

Student:  Does he speak English?

Teacher:  [Rolls his eyes and chuckles]  I have no clue.  [/sarcasm]

It’s going to be an interesting term.

Tags: , ,

Categories: Uncategorized

7 Comments on “Solid Citizens [/sarcasm]”

1. September 24, 2009 at 1:52 am #

what class is this?

• September 24, 2009 at 4:26 am #

Earth/Planetary Science.

• September 26, 2009 at 1:45 am #

why are you talking about colin powell in an earth science class?? haha

• September 26, 2009 at 1:57 am #

I don’t know how it came up. The student’s response just caught my attention and surprised me. haha.

2. September 24, 2009 at 3:23 am #

Well… fucktards who don’t know anything they aren’t spoonfed by liberal media voting is exactly how we’ve wound up in our current mess.

I know this thought isn’t popular, but universal suffrage is about the worst thing we’ve ever done to ourselves.

3. September 24, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Look at it this way-

you can’t make them dumber, so anything you do is a benefit?

just kidding, as much as I want to blame the kids, the parents are often just as bad. It is tough and rare thing to have someone motivated to be involved in the political system who doesn’t have a family that is also involved.

its sad, but you have to accept your probably the first exposure those kids have to a genuinely interested person who cares about civic obligations.

4. September 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm #

I watched a video of a guy walking around a mall somewhere asking the high school kids civic questions. It was universally sad and scary what they didn’t know.

One I do remember was the question “The United States fought what nation for it’s independence?”

The kid asked/answered “North Korea?”

and I actually thought, well, he knows there is or once was a North Korea at least.