Denied

I applied to UC Davis’ School of Education for their teacher credential/MA program.  I was denied.  Though I’m bummed, I don’t have to worry about missing Gun Blogger Rendezvous and I will likely go to Boomershoot again!  Oh… my priorities are awesome.

For the curious, I was denied for the following reason:

Not competitive with other applicants because of inadequate preparation for advanced study in the proposed program.

If I had to guess on specifics, I was denied likely on my experience within the classroom.  UCD prefers their applicants’ time in the classroom to be relevant to the subject matter the applicant wishes to teach.  UCD requires at least 30 hours.  I spent approximately 40 hours in a business law class – not exactly “science” material.  Personally, I would wage that I would have done just as well if not better than those who already had such experiences.  Oh well.

I also applied well after their “priority admission” deadline.  I’m sure that has something to do with it as well.  Again, I’m bummed; however, I know there will always be another time.

Tags: ,

Categories: Uncategorized

9 Comments on “Denied”

1. June 19, 2009 at 9:52 pm #

Dear Sir;

We at the Gun Blogger Rendezvous have reviewed your case and all relevant documents and we have decided to accept you with honors as an attendee for this year’s event.

At GBR-IV honors do not require any graduation, like most schools. We award them up front. There’s nothing like the GBR to broaden you education, sleep deprivation notwithstanding…….
    See you in Reno!

…… Mr. C.

• June 20, 2009 at 7:08 pm #

Mr. C,

It will be my great honor to accept your invitation to Gun Blogger Rendezvous!

Seriously though. UC Davis participates operates through a quarter system with the school year commencing during late September. So I thought attending GBR would not have been a problem. When I found out that the credential/MA program is an exception this year, starting late August, I was concerned!

Mike,

I actually emailed the credential analyst at the school and confirmed the reason for the denial. It’s comforting to know that I my application wasn’t a complete failure, the interview went sour or poorly written mission statement/statement of purpose — and I was able to call it!

“The admissions committee’s concerns were that you lacked experience in a science classroom. Additionally, because your undergraduate degree is in Psychology and you had limited coursework in science…”

There will always be next year. =)

2. June 19, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

Sorry to hear it. Sometimes rejections just don’t make sense. Late apps are tough though- they might be out of slots. Maybe try next semester?

3. June 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

sorry to hear. so what will be your plans now?

4. June 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm #

I’m going back to the school and spend 30 hours in a Earth Science classroom.

Like I said, there’s always next year. =)

5. June 22, 2009 at 5:55 pm #

Science? I didn’t think California taught that.

6. June 22, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

Oh, Earth Science. It’s not just Geology anymore, it’s how mankind is responsible for Earthquakes and Tornados. 🙂
    Anyhow good luck and see you at the GBR – I think.

7. June 23, 2009 at 3:43 am #

Earth Science sounds suspiciously like somebody tried to Hubbardize the Gaia hypothesis. Just sayin.’

1. Solid Citizens [/sarcasm] « - September 23, 2009

[…] } I was observing a classroom today to satisfy admission requirements for a teaching credential.  Though this isn’t my first experience observing a classroom, I’m still baffled by […]