Not so Interesting Conversation

I’ll be brief since I should be sleeping.  A few nights ago, I had one of those sauna conversations.  It was with a college professor.  We occasionally say hello and do the “howdy do’s.”  I told him about my plans to become a teacher.  He stated, “Hey, that’s great.  We certainly need more Asian teachers.”  I responded, “What does my perceived ethnicity have to do with being a qualified teacher?”  His argument was that children are better able to identify with a role model who looks like them.  My two most influential teachers was a white woman in high school and a black man in middle school.  When I think back on them, I recall the lessons they taught me about life; not their skin color.

I also took Japanese in high school.  My instructor is Japanese.  She was nice, but I certainly don’t identify with her.  So WTF?

Why must everything be about “race?”  The one man who wants the racism to vanish is the very same individual who wants society to base college admissions and employment on perceived ethnicity.  I just don’t get it.  This is the same individual who voted for Barack Obama – because he’s a charismatic leader; and he’s black.

We also discussed affirmative action, education, origin of morals and how government (read, “white men”) need to repay their debt to minorities who are less fortunate…  Though we both agree on the racial disparity that exists in the United States, I certainly cannot agree with his solution – socialism (He never said that. That’s only what I perceived).

BTW.  He kept on calling the United States government a democracy.  It drove me nuts…

Tags: ,

Categories: Uncategorized

12 Comments on “Not so Interesting Conversation”

1. February 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm #

I’m afraid this sort of thing will vanish only when the baby-boom generation has finally passed from the scene…. Certainly my generation and my daughter’s and the one right behind her are all filled with post-racial folks who tend to ignore race until someone like your professor brings it up.

2. February 24, 2009 at 1:59 am #

Academe certainly has its quirks.

just because a person is supposedly educated, does not mean that they have authority to speak on topics outside of their discipline. That infuriates me about academics.

You received your PhD, MD, DDS, DPT, et al in whatever. that means you know one small body of knowledge reasonably well.

stick to that. Chaps my hide I tell ya.

3. February 24, 2009 at 4:27 am #

David: That’s the same point I made in a our conversation and many more times while studying at UCD. It’s amazing that some individuals expect immediate solutions to a predicament that’s has occurred for thousands of years… To expect change over a 10 year period, I think, is absolutely unreasonable. That’s not even a generation.

Mike: I just wanted to make a point that he was a professor. I think that’s what was bugging me the most. I never took one of his classes, but from what I gather from other professors – they preach instead of teach.

4. February 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

If he was an Education professor you can rest assured that he has passed the most minimal and easiest standards in order to achieve that level of blind ignorance and self-assurance – and to teach others to think and behave as he does…

5. February 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

Sociology professor…

6. February 25, 2009 at 12:53 am #

ou as an aspiring social scientist, I gotta say people think we are pretty squishy. That guy is a social scientist, and sounds like not a good one at all. Sociology, not unlike comm- is not well respected. Thats because 2 schools of thought exist. In comm, we have people who actually do work, and those who crack their backs, have an acid flashback to their time on university hill in the 60s, and fantasize about how they know whats best for everyone. Sociology has their fair share of both these kind of characters.

your preach instead of teach is 100% accurate.

Guys like that make the rest of us look that much dumber.

7. February 26, 2009 at 5:23 pm #

Sociology – about the same as Anthropology (where I came from) with more number-crunching ion order to simulate an actual “scientific event”within the paradigm of the philosophy – not much of a step-up from Edu where the political philosophy is paramount and numbers are added-up it to support it…

8. February 26, 2009 at 6:09 pm #

DirtCrashr

are you suggesting that when my effect size is smaller than my potential for error I might not have an effect after all!?!?!?

😀 sometimes I cringe at what gets published- and I’m not that good at this stuff.

9. February 27, 2009 at 12:32 am #

At least Sociology makes a pretense towards the Scientific! “Don’t tell me Numbers don’t mean anything!” 😉 Meanwhile Anthropology is simply an academic narrative of self-absorbtion – an boastful storytelling of Exploits-Beyond-the-Ivory-Tower – a fiction of elaborate construction created by some amazing early pathological liars, frauds, and sex-fiends – who upon closer inspection were merely fairly venal and worked hard to justify their personal need to travel to exotic places and have sex with uninhibited foreigners in a lush and different environment than the (usually) cold, political halls of Academe.

10. February 28, 2009 at 6:50 pm #

we have an abbreviated version of your opinion

we call it:

Academic masturbation

anytime someone does something obviously for themselves that is thinly hidden behind something ‘academic’, anytime someone hides behind a mass of citations because they have no effin idea what they are talking about, or reports absolutely worthless data run with the wrong statistical tools in order to keep their effects from disappearing,

you have a hefty case of

AM

11. March 2, 2009 at 3:02 am #

Hey Derek, you didn’t tell me you’re Asian. What other secrets are you concealing?

12. March 2, 2009 at 3:35 am #

I had a mullet in 6th grade…?