Noveske Goodness

I went to the range this weekend to pump a few rounds through it.  I dailed it in a 25 yards then proceeded to see where my shots were going at 100 yards.

Shooting about 20 rounds, I was able to maintain a 9 inch grouping at 100 yards with  iron sights at a 6 o’clock hold.  Very happy with it.  It’ll be my boomer cleaner for Boomshoot 2009 =)

Tags: ,

13 Comments on “Noveske Goodness”

1. February 4, 2009 at 3:59 am #

what are the clicks on your irons? whats the peep size? standard I think are 1 moa clicks for the irons- I have 1/2moa clicks in mine- and you can go down to quarter clicks. a tighter aperture helps a lot.

is this your first pumpkin on a post experience?

2. February 4, 2009 at 3:59 am #

ps- i’m not saying 9in is bad at all- now i’m just curious about the upper

3. February 4, 2009 at 4:29 am #

LOL. No problem. Though it’s not my first, I’m still very new at it. I really didn’t get any rifle exercise in until a recent Appleseed shoot we had here in Sacramento, CA. I’ve been cheating with scopes before that.

This is my upper from Noveske’s site:

The rear sight is a flip up variation with 1/2 MOA windage adjustments. I made 6 clicks to the left from mechanical zero (at least I think so) to center it up at 25 yards. Adjustments @ 100 yards was unnecessary. I believe the aperture sights are 7mm/2mm (low light and normal). I elevated the front post 1/2 rotation up.

4. February 4, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

its tough getting your elevation off the front. I tried to calibrate it once- but then just resigned to the fact that I don’t shoot far enough to need to max out my elevation in either direction.

I have a flip up on my green carbine- an arms 40L – not a bad unit- but not having elevation adjustments kills me. I don’t like messing with front sights if I don’t have to.

Also- a trick I learned from hi-power is to cut your front sight post, then drill and tap it for a couple set screws, this way if your front sight post isn’t perfectly vertical you can adjust it until its square, or if you have a consistent cant you can account for that to save windage adjustments.

judging by the quality of noveske- me thinks you cant your rifle if you are coming that far away from mechanical zero- I doubt they have their front sight post on angled.

were you from a prone? easy to cant there and not realize it.

5. February 4, 2009 at 6:50 pm #

Though canting is a possibility, I was shooting from bench. You’re right however. I did find it awkward for me to have to adjust it by that much. I’m going to confirm it this upcoming Sunday.

Regarding the front sight post modification, I likely won’t do anything until I really know what I’m doing.

6. February 4, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

Roger that- I had a friend who runs a lath and a mill for a living who helped me do it.

anything I should know about those model 10s? do you shoot yours much?

7. February 4, 2009 at 8:38 pm #

I used to shoot my Model 10 all the time. It’s a 10-15 model. Basically it had a 4″ bull barrel with that silly lawyer lock on it. It’s definitely awesome to shoot and perfect for those hotter loads. I haven’t shot any +p rounds through it yet, but I imagine it wouldn’t be a problem.

8. February 5, 2009 at 12:08 am #

well you know me- it’ll get road hard and put up wet for sure.

I just paid for my first handgun class- its april 3rd- I’m pretty excited. Defensive handgunning 101 out of rochester personal defense.

9. February 5, 2009 at 3:51 am #

Those 4-inch boomers are tough at 25 yards, with a .223. You have to hit ’em just right. Multiple shots are to be expected for at least some. And then there are all the half- and quarter-size boomer pieces from the ones that break up and don’t explode the first time they’re hit….

Anyway, dialed in at 25 is all you need for Boomer cleanup. Be sure you have enough mags! I loaded my 20-rounders with 15 or so to be sure of no jams, and ended up shooting about 75 shots I think. More mag changes than I wanted. The handguard on the Kel-Tec was smoking. 🙂

Anyway, if you have 30-rounders and trust ’em filled to the brim, you could probably get away with 3 mags. Probably fewer — I’m assuming you’re a better shot than I.

10. February 7, 2009 at 6:05 am #

ouu a rifle carbine course does sound like a good time. Maybe this summer. do a lot of people run 20s or mainly 30s? I’ve got about 10 of each that run well. almost all my 20s are straight body colts, and my 30s are USGI. I put new followers in the 30s, but other than that, they have just worked well.

whats the words on reloads at classes? No way in this life am I paying new ammo prices to go shoot.

11. February 10, 2009 at 12:12 am #

Congrats on the Upper!! I don’t think you’re doing much wrong for 100-yards. It’s a short 14.5″ barrel with welded-on Vortex to make it legal – and has Standard M4 double heat shield type handguards. It’s not free-floated, so it’s possible to bear down on the barrel and get some shot dispersion. Also (at least on mine) the rear aperture is a lot bigger and more of a “Ghost Ring” for CQB purposes than the tiny peep-hole hood on my match-rifle.

I’d look for a free-foating fore-end to take the pressure off John’s awesome barrel – Noveske uses custom-done SWS rails, but another good one is Daniel Defense.

Boomershoot takes place at 25-yards??? 4-inches at 25-yards should be pretty easy but you’ll have to jack the front-sight way the hell up.

I put these targets up at 50-yards and shot at it with my Noveske N4 upper. A Quarter is a cunt-hair shy of one inch.:

I’m (my damn eyes) at the age where I had to change-out the MAtch Rifle’s rear aperture for a LARGER one because I was seeing “whiskers” – age has its drawbacks…

12. February 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm #

Boomershoot takes place at 385, 500ish, 600ish, and 700 yards. After everybody’s done shooting boomers at the long ranges, there’s cleanup at 25 yards for that up-close-and-personal experience. The pressure waves hitting your chest as you light the little buggers off are tres cool.

13. February 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm #