Peltor E-A-R Protection

Peltor E-A-R Protection

I like having these around just in case my Sordins malfunction or they start to interfere with shooting (skeet/trap).  I’ve used them both inside and outside as marketed with great results.  The only exception is that they may be hard on your ears if you’re sensitive.  They’re also not fun to take out.  Beyond that, they’re great and I would recommend them as an extra pair.  I still prefer my muffs, however.

Tags:

Categories: Uncategorized

9 Comments on “Peltor E-A-R Protection”

1. October 29, 2008 at 8:50 pm #

Since I only shoot outdoors I just use foam ones if I’m not on the (un-covered) firing line where I use Tac-6’s.
    The rubbery ones like those seem to eject themselves from my ear-canals without much provocation.

2. October 29, 2008 at 10:03 pm #

I have a pair of silencio p-27s that I love, and fit comfortably under my behind the head peltor muffs. I always try to double up nowadays.

3. October 30, 2008 at 12:58 am #

DC: The thing about these ear plugs is that they stay in REALLY well. The way these are designed is similar to a fish hook – easy in, kicking and screaming on the way out [I know – a tad exaggerated].

Mike: Are your muffs electronic? I haven’t had to double up yet, but I am curious if the plugs I have will add that additional protection, but retain my ability to hear. Next range trip, I’ll find out.

4. October 30, 2008 at 2:03 am #

no I use regular muffs- non electronic. I just double up because I figure it can’t hurt. sometimes with a rifle I’ll just use plugs if I can’t get a good cheek weld.

5. October 30, 2008 at 5:58 pm #

I use electronic muffs and sometimes double-up on the line. Indoors I double up but it’s been years since I shot indoors. I roll up and compress the foam-cylinder, and then twist it in and it stays put. They have an NRR 29 rating and are disposable when they get crusty.
    Maybe it’s all the weird hair I have growing out my ears as I’ve gotten older (50), but the other “flanged” ones don’t stick at all well – but I’m willing to give these a try.

6. TheGunGeek
    October 31, 2008 at 7:55 pm #

And let’s not forget, boys and girls, that there are anti-oxidants that you can take that have been shown to do a LOT to reduce hearing loss from exposure to loud noises.

N-Acetyl Cysteine seems to be best when taken before, but studies have shown it maintains a significant amount of effectiveness up to several hours after exposure.

Vitamin E
    Aspirin
    These two have just recently been found to work very well and they seem to work pretty well even as much as three days after the fact.

Whenever I go shooting, I take all three before hand. If it’s a scheduled thing, I also take them the day before. Either way, I continue to take them for at least a day after.

Once the damage is done, it’s done. Even if this ends up being one of those “Can’t hurt, might help” type of things, it’s a real small price to pay for keeping the old ears working. Wish I would have known this when I was younger.

7. November 3, 2008 at 12:07 am #

Hmm. So GunGeek, you’re saying range time shouldn’t include blasting the Itunes through the mic jack on the Peltor? I thought that was the whole point of it all — before noise cancellation technology, you couldn’t hear the music while you were shooting. 😉

1. Surefire – Sonic Defenders EP4 « The Packing Rat - March 13, 2011

[…] foam plugs, or my Sordin headset, the Sonic Defenders are significantly more comfortable than the Peltor EAR Protection; they’re easier to insert and do not feel like a giant’s little finger stuck in your […]

2. Surefire – Sonic Defenders EP4 : Hobbies and Rides - March 14, 2011

[…] foam plugs, or my Sordin headset, the Sonic Defenders are significantly more comfortable than the Peltor EAR Plugs; they’re easier to insert and do not feel like a giant’s little finger stuck in your […]