Broadening career prospects

Re-thinking a few career goals.  I may go back to graduate school for a masters in education and move to Oregon.  Maybe it’s all FUD, but CalPERS is scary business.  As a prospective state employee or a taxpayer, my desire to stick around is diminishing quick.

In the meantime, check out the Automotive Museum photos and a video clip I finally got the chance to fix.

Tags:

Categories: Misc.

8 Comments on “Broadening career prospects”

1. October 28, 2008 at 1:19 am #

I recommend grad school strongly, and I recommend Oregon as well.

2. October 29, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

The attraction of the State Job is security of a kind that comes with handcuffs, explore the rest of the country – there’s a LOT out there. 🙂
    I hitch-hiked back and forth a couple times but there are better ways to get around and I was always destination-driven. I think the only reason I stayed in CA (or even returned!) was because of a weirdly intense family-gravitational pull of some localized kind…

3. October 30, 2008 at 12:53 am #

Mike: I’m filling out the paper work to take the pre-requisite tests for the MA + credential program. I think I may schedule it for January. If I’m accepted, I’ll be at Davis again in September.

DC: That’s how I perceived the job I was initially seeking – I’ll be stuck here until I decide it’s not for me with little ‘outside’ experience to boast in the private sector. Guess we’ll see =).

4. October 30, 2008 at 3:31 am #

what do you need the GRE? thats what I had to take. Goes a lot faster than the SAT because its all on computer. You can go as fast or as slow as you like (slow within reason, I think there is a max time limit)

I have an article kicking around somewhere about how there is little to no correlation to GRE score as a predictor to graduate school achievement, and that cum GPA of undergrad is a better predictor. if you want it I’ll scrape it up for ya (not that it really applies, but it is kinda interesting)

5. October 30, 2008 at 4:20 am #

I did take the GRE with the intent to go to graduate school in Michigan for their Industrial Psychology program. I didn’t do great – I’m at least average. Then I studied for the GMAT… then the LSAT, but I never took the tests.

I need to take a test called CBEST [http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/] in order to get accepted into the Graduate School of Education. It’s actually a real easy test ensuring you have good understanding of common knowledge. I know… the GRE tests “basic” information too, but wasn’t a huge fan for the analogies.

The GRE:success in grad school, to my knowledge, is only a small factor. I remember taking a research statistics course and explaining the significances and why it may or may not be valid, but I may have fell asleep that day.

6. November 2, 2008 at 6:37 am #

yea you didn’t fall asleep your right. it sucks as a predictor.

I hated the GRE too. whats new with the reloading/ taurus snubby?

7. November 2, 2008 at 10:21 am #

I’m shooting 4.5 gr of Unique out of the Taurus M85 right now. Haven’t chrono’d it, but it’s pretty harsh on the hands. It does very well with the S&W Model 10, however.

I just bought some WST and Barry’s 230gr and 158gr bullets. Going to play around with that for a bit and see what happens.

8. November 2, 2008 at 4:08 pm #

your singing my tune with the unique Derek. That load is right around what I use as well in the SS. Might lighten up a little bit when I get the OP. I’m going to go with something really light for the mom’s 637. probably a 120gr or lighter (down to 105 maybe) bullet with enough unique to get 600 or so FPS.