Shooting my first reloads

The load was on the weaker side.  They shot well nonetheless.  All fed without a problem.  Two failed to lock back after the last round however.  I did use a chronograph, but I didn’t use it correctly – I’m going to have to go to a range where I have more room.  I think it’s a safe bet to up the load a little bit.  Maybe by two 0.2 grains and see where I am at then.

A picture of my targets:

Tags:

Categories: Misc.

7 Comments on “Shooting my first reloads”

1. August 29, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

You can’t just jump TWO GRAINS! Maybe two/tenths of a grain… If you jump two full grains, you’ll blow your hand off.

2. August 29, 2008 at 4:29 pm #

230 grain bullets (.45?)? I use 5.3 grains of 231.

3. August 29, 2008 at 6:02 pm #

lol… you’re right… I meant. .2 grains.

4. August 30, 2008 at 11:23 pm #

Glad they worked well! Did the Job thing work out?

I played around with some 45 rounds today as well. I’m a Unique lover- but that 231 has nothing but good things said about it.

5. September 2, 2008 at 9:15 am #

I haven’t heard anything about the job. He said that they were going to do the background check and I should have heard by Friday.

Given any bureaucratic system, I think it was delayed as a result of the holiday weekend. I may not hear anything until later this afternoon, or Wednesday.

I wanted to try out Bullseye and Titegroup, but they didn’t have any on my trip out to the store. I’m trying out Unique in the .38 spl for now.

6. September 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm #

I used Unique in my first loads ever. I fired about 150 of them through a Ruger SP 101 and the cylinder locked up. Is there something “dirtier” about Unique?? Or maybe it was because my Unique was 10 years old?

7. September 4, 2008 at 12:40 am #

I’ve heard it’s a very dirty powder. Some say it’s like a half step up from black powder. Given my choices at the time – I figured, “Why not?”