Strangers and Guns

I ran across a person who asked me – very candidly – if I have ever thought about shooting a person.  But that’s not all.

“Would you kill someone out of anger?”

“So you would take someone’s life if you wanted?”

“Who was the last person you wanted to kill if you could?”

“Have you ever looked at a fellow shooter and thought ‘this person could kill someone’?”

It’s really odd what people don’t mind asking, let alone addressing some of the stereotypes associated with firearm ownership.  If I didn’t know any better, it may have been a Brady spy [har har].  However, if people are asking these questions I should assume that they’re ready for a real answer.  Right?

Tags: , ,

6 Comments on “Strangers and Guns”

1. July 16, 2008 at 3:17 pm #

WOW- did you get the impression you had a sociopath in training doing a bit of projecting or did they seem like a genuinely misguided person asking questions that just seemed. . . . odd. . . .

2. July 16, 2008 at 9:24 pm #

I think it was a genuinely misguided person… I hope.

This individual notes that these concerns come from acquaintances. These are folks I’d like to stay away myself.

3. R
    July 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

I get that on occasion as well, I just answer as least intimidating as possible =)

4. July 17, 2008 at 4:53 pm #

well it’d be a first for me- though if I could take a crack at punxatoni phil. . . .I might take it.

5. July 23, 2008 at 2:34 pm #

I had some of the same questions yesterday from a coworker…which prompted this post:

Also, I bought a GSG 5 MP5 clone in .22lr. I showed my coworker a picture to see what he’d say (He’s an Obama Follower) and his jaw dropped. It’s got a fake suppressor to make the barrel length legal. He said……”you do know that the sole purpose of the assault weapon is to kill people. Don’t you?” I said… “Well, I know I’ll be killing a lot of paper targets with it. and I don’t think you could do a whole lot of damage to someone with a .22 unless you got really lucky.”

He kept asking if the suppressor was real… Hope change…. NO thanks, keep the change.

6. July 23, 2008 at 9:55 pm #

Lucky. Glad you got your hand on one of those .22s!

Unfortunately, some people just don’t understand – a gun is a tool. Each tool has it’s purpose. Sure the HK derivative was meant as a means to stop threats in a lethal manner, but really – that’s what the Second Amendment is for.

Are you having fun with your plinker?