Open Carry in National Forest

I plan on backpacking for a two night trip in Desolation Wilderness starting at the Pyramid Creek Trailhead with a few friends. Being the good law-abiding firearm owner that I am, I called the NF office to assure myself that open carry in the Eldorado National Forest is legal and allowed.

It wasn’t so much that the fact that I can open carry in the National Forest I found interesting (I already knew it, just wanted to assure my tin-foil, hat-wearing self), it was the interaction I had with the operator and Lead Forest Ranger. They’re not worried about folks shooting firearms for recreational purposes or even having possession of them. It’s idiots with firearms – firing into granite and being a nuisance to other people who want to enjoy the quiet scenery. Never did they make any inferences that guns were bad or belittle me with my desire to carry while I enjoy the great outdoors, instead it was just a firm reminder about being safe. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help myself notice her initial reaction.

She wasn’t quite clear herself, so she referred the question to the Lead Ranger.  The Lead Ranger shared stories about “idiots with booze” [yes, that’s what she said] and eventually acknowledged, albeit with hesitation, that their current policy allows the use and open-carry of firearms.  She did seemed to lighten up after I casually paraphrased Cooper’s four rules of weapons handing as it related to her narration. It might be me, but I think I’ve imposed a positive impression on that individual.

Though we’re likely to agree that most people, like at a post office, are generally unaware of current gun laws, it remains to be very important we maintain our “high road” in the eyes of those are likely to promote policy based on what they experience.

I know there are stupid people with their guns; showing no muzzle discipline whatsoever. It is up to us [responsible gun-owners] to show that we are the majority.

Tags: , ,

9 Comments on “Open Carry in National Forest”

1. May 6, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

Nice job presenting a positive image of a responsible gun owner. With the National Park Service about to loosen up on firearms in their parks, it remains important that our image is one of responsibility and integrity, not carelessness and stupidity. Well done.

—-
    Q: What did the redneck say just before he died?
    A: “Hey y’all, watch this!”
    —-

2. Robbie V
    June 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

“I know there are stupid people out their with guns, showing no muzzle discipline whatsoever.”

It’s ironic that you call people stupid while making a grammar mistake in the same sentence ( ‘their’ should be there ); but a pretty good article nonetheless.

• June 13, 2010 at 3:45 am #

Yeah. I can be pretty stupid with grammar. Thanks for pointing it out. I can use the help. =)

• June 13, 2010 at 3:49 am #

Or “could” use the help. Cheers.

3. Anthony Peterson
    November 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Now let fix the state parks policy on open carry. Had unfortunate experience hunting in a state park after double checking game and fisheries book, calling the state park (no answering ph), yet still got ticketed. Judge wouldnt throw it out despite fact that book specifically stated that i could…..it was the technicallity of the case, being not criminal prosecutor didnt hav to show intent. Anything for a buck….oh! Dollar. I wrote the congressman in that area. But he didnt get re-elected. (Boucher)

4. July 2, 2011 at 2:50 am #

Dear Stupid Aholes,

Please move to anywhere but here. No one, even the retarded liberals (who secretly know better) want socialist policy in the United States. It’s ok to own, possess, and discharge firearms. It’s the ONLY thing keeping Osama bin Bama from taking everything we own. Slavery starts with the disarming of a societies peoples. Look it up, liberal douche.

5. July 2, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Dear Stupid,

1. South Lake Tahoe and a Retired Forest Ranger « - October 30, 2009

[…] a Forest Ranger regarding open carry firearm laws.  Last year, I called the office to confirm that I may open carry within the National Forest.  It was a positive outcome and it reassured me that I would not have any trouble.  This time, I […]