Colt Peacemaker Buntline 7 1/2″

Colt Peacemaker Buntline 7 ½”

The “Buntline” designation has a unique history, as an original was never mass-produced. It was instead based on preferred modifications based on Dime Novelist Ned Buntline’s preferences in a firearm (SA revolver chambered in .45 Long Colt with a barrel length of 16 inches and a removable stock). The Buntline name is also falsely associated with Wyatt Earp – a famous participant of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Generally speaking however, the term “Buntline” is more associated with a single action pistol with a long barrel.

colt peacemaker buntline revolver

I bought this Colt Peacemaker Buntline from a fellow calguns.net member a few months ago. It’s chambered for 22 caliber bullets and came with one cylinder for the 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire cartridge. Some models come with two cylinders, the other for .22 long rifle cartridges.

This particular Colt Peacemaker has a 7 ½” barrel with a cased-hardened receiver and a flat top. The serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 1975. With a traditional Colt, it must be loaded and ejected on shell or cartridge at a time with the hammer pulled back at half cock. The cylinder can be taken out by taking out the cylinder pin to do any necessary cleaning or in some instances, exchange it for a cylinder of a different cartridge.

The grips that came with this particular pistol are plastic with the classic prancing pony and an eagle with a ribbon (closely resembling the Great Seal of the United States in 1782) noting the motto “E Pluribus Unum” – or “Out of many, is One.”

I neglected to take pictures of the heel, but there’s engraving that resembles a whirlpool of water. The left side of the barrel is marked “Peacemaker Buntline” and the top is marked with “Colt’s P.T.F.A. MFG. CO Hartford CT. U.S.A.”

I haven’t shot a 22-magnum pistol before and this pistol proves it to be fun. The recoil isn’t noticeable, but the deeper boom, instead of the light snappy noise, makes me smile. The action of the hammer is distinctive and tight. Pulling back the hammer attenuates four clicks. According to Masad Ayoob, “Aficionados say when you cock the hammer of the real thing, its four clicks spell C-O-L-T. Many of the newer versions–the Beretta/Uberti Stampede, the Ruger Vaquero, and Colt’s own Cowboy–give three audible and palpable clicks as their hammers are eared back. I like to think this spells N-E-W.”

Inserting and ejecting shells is actually fun. It paces my shooting and helps me avoid the 45 caliber weapon for a little bit. I also think of Revolver Ocelot from the Metal Gear Solid video game series when I shoot this revolver – silly, I know. “This reload time is exhilarating!” Accuracy on the other hand seems to be scattered. I’m not much of a shoot, so I may just need more practice. I think aligning the sights seem to be the most difficult for me.

Trigger is crisp just as the cylinder lateral and vertical play is minimal. Pulling the hammer half way will allow the cylinder to spin clockwise and locks up perfectly to the ejection rod when spun counter-clockwise.

I haven’t shot it much. I merely bought it for the Colt factor. It is a fun plinker and will prove to be fun for new shooters too. Just remember to absolutely NOT dry fire this pistol – one will peen the cylinder or the firing pin.

Tags: , , ,

16 Comments on “Colt Peacemaker Buntline 7 1/2″”

1. chris
    December 1, 2007 at 8:50 pm #

Im looking for a 22 mag cylinder for a colt peacemaker 22/22mag,I have the the original 22 cylinder,the gun was purchased in the 70s.Any help would be appreciated. thank you

• jake
      November 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

i’ll sell you the whole damn gun for 250

• Jerry
        May 7, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Have you sold the buntline colt yet? What is the barrel length and does it also come with the mag cyclender?

2. December 2, 2007 at 5:52 am #

I’m under the impression that gunsmith modification is required to get the timing correct. But I’ve also read from reliable sources that it’s not needed. Nonetheless, the cylinder pictured in that auction certain looks similar to the one I had – I’d say it’s really close and worth to try it out.

3. bill
    February 8, 2009 at 5:33 am #

Hi , I have a Col 22 Peacemaker with a 5 1/2″ barrell and was just wondering what its worth.
    Thanks………………

4. endrit
    November 14, 2009 at 9:03 pm #

wonderful handgun, i love colt.

5. Terry Stegemeyer
    February 9, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

I have two handguns i would like to learn more about: the history, manufacture date, possible usage, what they may be worth, etc. Can you help or provide me with a contact to discuss this with?
    1– Colt Single action Buntline Scout .22 LR, 9″ barrel, SN# 72349F; and,
    2– Colt D.A. 45, US Army model 1917, SN# 128388

thanks in advance

6. Reuben Parker jr.
    April 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

I have 2 colt pistols I am wondering about one is a colt 45 engraved gold and silver with stag handles ser# 58397, and the other one is a colt 44 buntline 12inch barrel ser # 193387. what if anything can you tell me about them. Thanks for all of the Help.

7. John Ledford
    October 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

I have just purchased a Peacemaker Buntline .22 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. It says 1975 on it, but not sure. I would just like to get a ballpark figure of what it is worth. Its in real good shape. I know you need to see to get exact price, but close would be good. Its not for sale anyway. Thank you

8. Joe Wishnuck
    June 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

I purchased a colt peacemaker and the 22 mag cylinder was stolen. Wanting to purchase.

• Gerald Lewis
      June 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Not all of the 22 cal models were designed to accomidate both the long rifle and magnum round. It yours originally had a magnum cylinder and lr cylinder you probably will not need any gunsmithing. If it is not set up for both it will definately need the timing adjusted if it can even be done. Using magnum rounds in a non-magnum frame gun is one of the biggest causes for mishaps and blown up guns.

9. mike
    July 16, 2011 at 11:34 am #

i have one for sale bought it in 1974 have the magnum cylinder to

• joe finetti
      August 25, 2011 at 8:17 am #

Hey Mike – your post seems to be cut off. Are you selling a peacemaker? I’m actually looking for a .22 mag cylinder, but I’ll buy the gun if you get back to me at 818-317-3181.
      joe

• Joe wishnuck
      September 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Mike, Is it the cylinder or gun or both.

• Joe Wishnuck
      November 13, 2011 at 9:12 am #

Let me know colt information

10. Myron Niehus
    December 19, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

I just picked up a Colt single action Buntline Scout ,22.LR,,,serial no. 200130f and
    Would like to know what year it was made,,,,,,Thanks much,,,,