Opinions expressed herein http://thepackingrat.net are his own and not the approved position of any organization, nor should they be considered legal advice.
If one feels so inclined to contact me, please do so at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PO Box 581263
Elk Grove, CA 95758
Derek graduated with a Bachelor of Arts majoring in psychology and sociology with an emphasis on law and society. A minor in education was also completed. Academic interests are leadership and motivation within complex organizations. Criminal justice theory and adult training/education also sparks an interest.
Derek enjoys camping, barbecuing, hiking and firearms. He’s also an Eagle Scout, a member of the National Rifle Association, and NRA Certified to teach Pistol and Rifle courses.
- National Shooting Sports Foundation – Member
- Second Amendment Foundation – Life Member
- California Pistol and Rifle Association – Member
- California Association of Federal Firearms Licensees – Individual Training Professional Member
- National Eagle Scout Association- Life Member
- Outdoor Writers Association of America – Member
CA DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor – Need a CA Handgun Safety Certificate? Contact me.
CA Sacramento Co. License-to-Carry aka CCW Instructor – I also instruct LTC classes with Mike Cecil at CS Tactical.
Purpose of the Blog:
I intend to write about my experience as a California gun owner and my attempt to normalize the “gun culture.” Other personal interests will follow: guns, gear and grub. I’m not an expert, but I maintain that these reviews are related to my audience from first hand experience, unless stated otherwise. For those who might stumble upon this blog, I hope you may find it useful.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I will do my best to return your email.
Why “the packing rat?” I was born on the Year of the Rat, according to the Chinese zodiac. “Packing” can be interpreted in two ways: my support for the carry of firearms by law abiding citizens and my firearm collecting habits. I think other folks can relate to the latter. What are you packing?
MM of http://www.militarymorons.com was an inspiration for this blog.
Random facts about Derek:
- Derek likes Sweet Tarts and beef jerky.
- He doesn’t name his guns.
- Derek maintains this blog with an Apple computer.
- Derek is a fan of Dr. Joe’s cure for everything and so should you.
- Derek started cooking at an early age and contemplated a culinary career. In high school, learning how to cook was a means to impress girls. It works.
- He is awfully quiet in person. You should approach him first.
- Derek’s favorite merit badges were Lifesaving and Pottery. Rifle shooting was not his favorite because he disliked paying $5.00 for 50 shots of .22LR and waiting in line to shoot during his free time at summer camp.
- His first handgun was a Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP. His first firearms ever were two stripped Sun Devil SD-15 lowers.
- Derek first held a firearm when he was 8 – a GLOCK 17.
- He is a lazy editor. It’s not unusual to post blog articles without reading them. If one is inclined to point them out, go for it. It won’t hurt his feelings.
- Prefers Reece’s miniature peanut butter cups for the perfect chocolate:peanut butter.
- It’s annoying when folks pronounce the letters of a measurement unit, predominately millimeter, or “emm emm.”
- Shenaniguns and other brothers-in-arms keep me focused on what’s important outside this blog. Thank you.
To be continued…