Winchester 69 – .22 LR Bolt Action

Winchester 69 – 22LR Bolt Action

I came across this bolt-action rifle cruising www.calguns.net. It was originally missing a bolt assembly. Conveniently, one was listed on ebay. The rifle was priced well and close enough for me to pick it up – it sold rather quickly. I bought the bolt shortly after letting the gentleman know of my intent to purchase.

The Winchester Model 69 is different from their 69A model. The primary difference it’s the bolt assembly. The Model 69 utilizes an open-bolt system whereas the Model 69A uses the closed-bolt system. In other words, the firearm cocks as the bolt moves forward and visa versa in the Model 69A. The safety on the Model 69 is a twist knob on the bolt assembly and the Model 69A’s safety is on the rifle’s receiver.

Introduced in 1935, the Model 69 uses a detachable magazine box to chamber .22 Short Long and Long Rifle ammunition. The barrel is 25” tapered barrel, open sights (with an option to use a hooded sight in the front – but I think mine is just missing the hood). The stock is a plain walnut, dinged up after the years of use. The barrel was also re-parkarized with the outer barrel showing some pitting. I assume the refinishing took care of any further deterioration. The inner barrel however is very shiny with excellent rifling. It’s been shooting the Remington, Winchester, and Federal bargain brick boxes without a problem and is absolutely a straight shooter.

OEM magazines are difficult to come by – especially one with a 10 round capacity. I’ve seen the ProMag models available, but I haven’t had the money to buy a set (anyone care to donate?).

It’s quite a .22 and it’s blast to shoot – despite the absence of any blast. I see many of them being sold between $350 and $450, depending on accessories and condition. If you happen to run across one – buy it.

I could probably do better.

Edit:

Requested by one of our fellow gunnies, I took apart the Winchester 69 bolt assembly and took some pictures.

img_3555 img_3552 img_3543

Notice the location of the extractor and ejector.  Turn the bolt over and proceed to push out the pins.  You must have a small pin punch to take these out.

img_3542 img_3550 img_3548

On each side, there are two small springs and two small pins.  They appear the same, so don’t fret if you mix them up.  DO note which side is the extractor and ejector come from.  That was the complicated part.

img_3541 img_3540 img_3538

The push pin from the safety on the back is one way.  Push the pin out from one side and note the rim that allows the head of the pin to rest.  Also note the other pin which does not dictate which side you may push it through.

img_3536 img_3530 img_3527

It is important; however, that the pin must be inserted all the way so that one side is flush and the other is exposed as seen in the first picture.  Just keep that in mind.  Push the pin out.  Be mindful that this pin holds a spring.  It not likely going to fly out, but do take caution.  Pull out the spring.

img_3528 img_3526

Following the spring is the firing pin.  After that, everything should be all disassembled.  My bolt, specifically, did not allow me to take off the handle.  I’m not certain if it’s isolated to my bolt, but it does look like a pin was welded on at the base.  Either way, I don’t foresee any purpose to pull it off – unless I break it or something.

img_3532 img_3534 img_3533

Putting it back together is simple.  Reverse assemble.  I should point out that it would be ideal for you to use a took the spring inside back into the firing pin so that the pin can be placed back inside through the hole.  Lightly tap it back in.

img_3544 img_3551

Use light force when pushing these pins out.  I peened a pin for the extractor or ejector, which resulted in some sanding to get it back in without over pounding each pin.  The pins should be able to be pushed all the way through without much difficulty.

Bookmark and Share

About these ads

Tags: , , ,

151 Comments on “Winchester 69 – .22 LR Bolt Action”

1. Braden strong
    November 5, 2007 at 2:33 pm #

Hello my name is Braden Strong. I have a Model 69A- 22 Short Rifle. I was wondering if you knew where I could get a clip for it?

• scott sanderso
      November 11, 2009 at 6:01 am #

numerich arms has new 5rnd mags for sale.

• Frank Monterosso
      November 28, 2009 at 2:15 am #

Want to sell Winchester 69 parts.
      Barrel, stock only. Make an offer.
      Thanks

• Model 69 parts
        December 31, 2009 at 8:35 am #

Frank, I would like to buy your barrel and action for the model 69. What is your email or phone number?

• Beau
        February 20, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

Any parts available for the winchester 69 or do you know of anyone who might have any parts for sale?
        Please e-mail back, Thanx, Beau

• May 22, 2010 at 11:16 am #

Very interested on the stock. $75

• brandon
        January 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

I would like to buy a stock from some one 6785498404

• Lynn Mack
        November 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Hey I know it’s two years ago but do you still have these 69 parts.. If not why doesnt the add delete,thks

• chris allen
        November 19, 2011 at 6:23 am #

i would like to sell my winchester model 69 .22 bolt action rifle..has a five round clip,scope,and carrying case make offer

• Bill
        November 29, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Would your stock have the magazine plate attached. What are you askinf for it?

• ralph barndt
      November 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

i may have a clip for you

• Alger
        April 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Ralph, do you still have the clip?

• Ron Rhynders
        May 4, 2012 at 6:14 am #

Ron Rhynders, am looking for a clip and a bolt handle for a winchester 22. cal. mod. 69

2. November 5, 2007 at 4:55 pm #

Braden,
    You may have luck searching http://www.gunbroker.com.

3. Cuinn
    November 16, 2007 at 4:12 am #

I’ve got a 69, and I love it. It’s my favorite .22 rifle (my roommate has a 69a and there is a difference). I bought mine at the Armory, came with a clip and they sold me an extra, so that wasn’t a problem for me, but finding more hasn’t been easy.

Where do you shoot here in town? I’ve shot at the Rancho range and up out past Lincoln at that old shooting spot, and have been thinking about trying the Elk grove range but haven’t talked to anyone else who’s gone there yet.

4. November 16, 2007 at 5:07 am #

I generally shoot at the Elk Grove Gun Room out of convenience. I would like to make it out to the Rancho Cordova Shooting Center or the Sac Valley Center to try out my ProHunter barrel and other rifles at long range. I still have a M1A I haven’t shot!

The EG Gun Room is only a 25 yard indoor range, but they’re open until 10pm. If I have time and don’t have to do any studying, I go there since it’s local and open.

I might be there next weekend (Thanksgiving weekend) and might make it to the Cordova Center. Let me know if you want get send some lead down the lane together!

5. November 19, 2007 at 7:58 am #

I’m out of town that weekend, but thanks for the offer. How is their gun selection? Now that the Armory is closed I need to find a new supplier. :)

6. November 19, 2007 at 8:19 am #

Enjoy the holiday weekend!

The GR’s selection is very large. They have an excellent show room with many handguns and long guns to drool over. The rental selection is not bad either.

I can’t say much about their prices however. Many of them are up there. Their staff; however, reflects that (at least recently) and likely justifies the higher price.

If you’re looking for any consignments, you’ll be hard pressed to find any.

BTW, River City Gun Exchange is another place worth check out in the Sacramento area.

7. November 19, 2007 at 3:56 pm #

I’ve never heard of River City Gun Exchange, thanks. I don’t need my guns to be consignment, and I do like a knowledgeable staff. I bought everything from the Armory for four years, miss those guys. I’m in the market for another rifle and a shotgun at the moment. I think I’ll go 12g for the shotgun but haven’t decided about the rifle yet.

8. Hello
    December 22, 2007 at 1:00 pm #

Hello: Well i’m trying to find out how to go about selling a model 69A 22 short winchester long & long rifle that was giving to me. My friends buddy pass and he inherited everything. So how do i go about a bill of sale on this rifle do i go to the state troopers or police station and get a sale slip or my friend will have to make me a bill of sale do same one know please email Thank you

9. December 23, 2007 at 11:29 am #

If you live in Florida, you might want to talk to David Goldman, an estate lawyer who is very familiar with these laws. If you’re not in Florida, you may – of course, ask him for a recommendation who is licensed to practice law in your state of residency.

Otherwise, I’m afraid I won’t be of much help. Good luck.

10. Hello
    December 24, 2007 at 2:03 pm #

11. jun
    February 7, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

hey friends,can u please help me to buy one volt assembly of my winchester model 69A short long& long riple.

12. February 8, 2008 at 1:31 am #

I don’t sell parts. Good luck on your search.

13. hunter
    March 27, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

I have a model 69-22-short, long and long rifle, I need a clip any ideas? Thank You.

14. March 27, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

Many of these magazines can be found on gunbroker or related auction sites.

15. Greg
    April 26, 2008 at 12:38 am #

I’m looking for a clip for the 69A. Anyone know where to look?

16. May 26, 2008 at 7:36 am #

I don’t own one of these rifles, nor am I affiliated with Brownells, but I was searching for 1911 parts and stumbled upon this:

17. Chris
    June 1, 2008 at 11:57 pm #

Your buck horn-type rear sight depicted is incorrect and was added later probably because the original was lost…the original Model 69 came with a peep sight (completely different, and a less sophisticated peep sight than on the much later 69A)…I know because I have my Dad’s original Mod. 69 acquired in 1935. The peep sight adjusted for windage by moving/pivoting the lever the peep sight attached to into marked detents. The elevation was adjusted up or down by a numerically indexed wheel that was either raised or lowered when turned. His Model 69 was also fitted with a brass-tubed 4X Sears scope attached to two scope blocks on the barrel. He use it to great effect in competition in college against the Win. Model 52′s after wrapping the barrel with lead wire and covering it with black tape. He also added molten lead to the forearm and butt stock area for more weight. He was a great shot. In 1963 when he forst took up highpower shooting, he won the National Service Rifle Championship (Marksman Class) at Camp Perry, Ohio. :-)

18. June 2, 2008 at 1:02 am #

Wow, that’s excellent information. Thank you for taking the time to write about it.

I’ll have to look for the 69A rear sight when time allows me to install it as I’ve never been too happy with the buck horn sights.

Your dad definitely sounds like the excellent that shot he is.

19. DON
    August 3, 2008 at 10:37 pm #

I PURCHASED A WELL PRESERVED MODEL 69 LAST MONTH FROM TURNER’S
    OUTDOOR IN SAN DIEGO, CA. IT WAS A CONSIGNMENT GUN STANDING ALL
    ALONE BELOW A VERY FULL RACK OF NEW LONG GUNS. AT THAT TIME IT
    WAS THE ONLY USED GUN IN THE STORE. I WAS NOT IN THE MARKET FOR
    A LITTLE .22 LR BOLT GUN BUT I WAS KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR A LYMAN OR SIMILAR LONG TARGET SCOPE. AND THIS ONE HAD ONE MOUNTED!
    I GOT THE CLERK’S ATTENTION AND HE PASSED IT TO ME AFTER CHECK-
    THAT IT WAS UNLOADED. THE TAG READ $100.00 DOLLARS. (YES, ONE
    HUNDRED DOLLARS!) I IMMEDIATELY TOLD THE CLERK, “I WILL TAKE IT.”
    I HAD NOT NOTICED BUT TWO OTHER GUYS HAD SUDDENLY TAKEN AN IN-
    TEREST IN THE RIFLE BUT IT WAS ON IT’S WAY TO BEING MINE.
    WHILE THE INK WAS BEING SPREAD ON ALL OF THE CALIFORNIA AND
    FED PAPERS I GAVE MY NEW PLINKER A CLOSER EXAM. OVERALL BLUING
    AND WOOD WAS EXCELLENT. THE CLIP SEEMED TO BE A NEW REPLACE-
    MENT. BORE-PERFECT. ACTION-VERY SMOOTH. THERE WAS NO INFO ON THE SCOPE OR MOUNTS, HOWEVER.
    I WILL BE HEADED UP TO ROSCOE RIDGE IN RAMONA, CA SOON WITH
    MY FRIEND DAVE V AND GIVE IT A WORK OUT. UNTIL THEN, SO LONG

20. August 4, 2008 at 6:45 pm #

That’s an excellent purchase, Don. You can definitely add me to that list of folks who have a belated ‘sudden interest.’ In Sacramento, there aren’t a whole lot of places that offer consignment guns, but I guess that’s a good thing for my wallet.

It’s a great plinker and hope to hear about your experiences soon. Cheers!

21. Kai
    August 29, 2008 at 7:44 pm #

New to my grandfathers 69a. Any one have a field strip and proper cleaning video or manual for this rifle?

Thanks

22. MarshallDodge
    September 25, 2008 at 4:50 am #

I have a 69A. It was purchased new by my grandfather for my father. When I was 10 my dad gave it to me. They are great shooting rifles.

23. Duane
    December 20, 2008 at 6:12 am #

I was given a “Winchester” Model 69 by my grandfather in 1952; its traveled to many states and countries with me during military service and has been fired by myself, my wife, and two sons for many years. It is still in excellent condition particularly considering its now 73 years young. I suspect that I will pass it to my oldest son sometime soon. I also believe that it will endure long pass the time ammunition of the required Cal can be procured for use in it, i.e. the liberal agenda!!!

24. January 5, 2009 at 10:50 am #

i want this rifle

• res0kkw@earthlink.net
      April 17, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

I have one of these and its been very well kept.I got it from my uncle over 10 years ago it has a scope .

I would really like to sell i just need to find a buyer.

• Gary Stahara
        August 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Hi, I know it’s been a long time, but do you still have your Winchester model 69 to sell? If so, I’d be interested. Thanks.

25. Steve Pritchard
    January 12, 2009 at 1:55 am #

I have a Win 69 that Iam working on, I need a break down schematic On just the bolt. I can find break downs on 69a all day long but not just the 69. Any help……..

26. January 12, 2009 at 2:09 am #

Steve,
    Give me a week and I’ll see what I can conjure up.

Derek

27. Steve Pritchard
    January 12, 2009 at 2:23 am #

Hey that would bo GREAT, I will be looking for it. STEVE

28. JC
    January 19, 2009 at 2:36 am #

I have a model 69A target that belonged to my Dad. The barrel is a little heavier than the 69, and it has a hooded front sight with cross hairs and a rear peep sight. It’s in pretty good condition considering it’s been used by my dad, myself and my four brothers.

Anyone looking for magazines should also try Gunclip Depot:

They are not original Winchester magazines, but they work just fine. They have both 5 and 10 round magazines that fit the model 69 and 69A. I also found some single shot magazines which basically are inserted into the magazine well just like a magazine, but it allows you to shoot one shot at a time. Great for teaching youngsters.

The trigger on these guns is outstanding for a factory tigger. Nice clean break with no creep at all.

29. Sebastian Munoz
    January 19, 2009 at 5:56 am #

I just purchased a 69 in fair condition at a gun show for only $150. I can ‘t wait to get my hands on it after the 10 day wait period.

30. sandy
    January 21, 2009 at 11:46 pm #

I have a Winchester 69 with the clip from an estate but the clip is marked with a patent date of 1919. Any idea how old this bolt action is or should I just disregard the patent date altogether and assume it’s from the 1930′s? Any help in dating it would be appreciated.

31. January 22, 2009 at 1:10 am #

Sandy,

It was my impression that the Win 69 was manufactured between 1932 and 1942. The magazine patent stamp could just be that, a patent stamp – indicating when that magazine was first designed and patented. A Colt .45 Automatic will often have the 1911 patent date on it, but not necessarily the date of manufacture. I think it would be safe to assume that your rifle is from the 1930s. If anything, the magazine would be a poor indicator of age of any firearm.

Sorry I couldn’t be much of any help.

32. andrew
    January 22, 2009 at 5:05 am #

I have a Win69 that I picked up off of the web for 150. I was looking for a cheap rifle to turn into a biathlon rifle. After receiving it and looking at it up close, I thought it looked too pretty to deform– despite the fact that a previous owner had cut sections from the receiver for scope mounts. At some point in its history, it had gone to England. It has “not of English manufacture” (or similar) stamped into the barrel as well as a serial number. Does anyone know if these might have been used by the Brits for training rifles in WW2? It came with a parker-hale ghost ring setup and is rock solid. Shoots like a champ up to 100 yards.

33. frank monterosso
    January 28, 2009 at 9:02 am #

I would like to sell parts of a Winchester 69.
    I have the stock, butt plate, barrel , rear sight, trigger guard,and that’s it.

• January 28, 2009 at 9:08 am #

How much?

• bruce meyer
      October 23, 2009 at 11:42 am #

do you still have the stock? How much do you want? Do you know if it would be interchangeable with the 69A??

• November 11, 2009 at 9:42 am #

do you have the bolt? for the model 69 if you do and would like to sell please e-mail me

• John Beesley
      January 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Looking for a stock, butt plate and trigger guard for Winchester model 69 22 bolt action rifle. Can anybody help me out? E-mail or call @ 801-592-1309. Thanks, John

• John Beesley
      January 11, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Interested in wood stock butt plate for Win. 69 bolt action. Also need a trigger guard. Call w/ details: 801-592-1309. Thanks, John

• henry moore
      October 1, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Do you still have the rear sight for the model 69…Ii would like to get it. Thanks

34. Michael
    February 2, 2009 at 1:40 am #

I would be interested in purchasing the butt plate for the Model 69, and perhaps the rear site as well. Write me with price and details. Thanks

35. sam
    February 8, 2009 at 12:45 am #

I’m looking for a complete bolt assembly for a model 69A if anyone knows where to get one. thanks

36. John
    February 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Frank, I would like to purchase the barrel for the model 69.

37. dj
    February 8, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

how would you rate this gun?

38. Mike Klipper
    March 10, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

My girlfriends’ father passed away recently (he was a WWII vet)and left her with his win 69 that he bought in the 30′s. She use to go plinking with him all the time when she was younger and just loved it. This 69 is in excellent shape and has it’s original win clip. It hasn’t been cleaned in many years but after I worked on it for a couple hours it’s back to it’s old glory. No pitting or rust and the action is as tight as it was when it came out of the box. Now it’s time to head to northern Micnigan for some plinking. I thought 69 lovers would like to hear this story. This is one sweet little rifle. Regards to all 69 owners and wanna bees.

39. brandon
    April 28, 2009 at 12:56 am #

I just bought two clips for mine at a gun show in Baton Rouge. Go to one, someone there probably has some. I paid $20.00 each and thought that was fine. I got my gun, and the single shot version from my dad. He had had them all his life; probably since the mid -30′s. Great little guns, a hoot to shoot.

40. Chris Halldorson
    May 7, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

In Jan. 09, my brother in law after having cleaned out his closet, walked up to me and handed me my fathers old mod. 69. “Happy Birthday Chris, from your Dad” he said. I couldn’t believe it! I hadn’t seen that rifle since 1990 when I had last fired it with my Dad. He passed away in ’95.
    Since January, I have been trying to dig up more info on this fine rifle with very little success until I found your site.
    As the other Chris above described perfectly the same rear peep sight as on mine, I realised it was OEM afterall. So, the rear sight stays….
    Thanks, your site was of tremendous help.
    Chris

41. Bob
    June 9, 2009 at 2:46 am #

Terrific stories. Came across this doing a web search on Win 69. I got mine in the ’50′s. The story was my father gave it to a girl friend (that had to be sometime in the ’30′s) and she gave it back to him for me. He also said something about seeing mostly rat shot for years and probably wouldn’t shoot straight. Well, it shot straight and often for almost 20 years. One of those you can’t miss rifles. It then spent most of the next 30 years in closets, duffel bags and such. I seem to recall that the mag started getting cranky in the early ’70′s. Mine has the V-notch rear sight. The front sight looks like it might have had a hood, but I can guarantee no hood in over 50 years.

Took it out a couple weeks ago. The mag is still cranky but works most of the time. It still shoots tight groups but now a bit to the right. Guess it has been bumped enough to move it at bit. It’s not often you can take one of those trips down memory lane with the memory in hand. I think it will get a few thousand more rounds through it, now that it has been rediscovered.

Great little rifles.

42. Will Fountain
    July 2, 2009 at 5:05 am #

I have a winchester model 69 – 22 short, long and long rifle. My grandfather gave me this gun when I was a little boy, I’m 31 now. It has been missing the detachable magazine ever since I recieved it. I’ve been just shooting it as a single shot all these years. Where can I get a magazine for this gun?

please help, thanks

43. Bob
    July 2, 2009 at 11:11 am #

Brownells or Numrich are your best bets for finding a mag

44. Tom
    July 4, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

jUST GOT A MODEL 69 FROM A COUSIN AND IT IS MISSING TWO THINGS. tHE MAG WHICH i SEE i CAN PICK UP AT SOME SUPPLY ONLINE STORE. bUT ALSO IS THE PIN THAT i THINK HOLDS THE FIRING PIN INTO THE MAIN BOLT FRAME. mINE IS IN TWO PARTS. tHE TAPPERED PIN YOU TALK ABOUT TO ACTUALLY TAKE OUT THE SPRING FOR THE FIRING PIN IS IN PLACE. hOWEVER, IT IS THE OTHER ONE THAT SEEMS TO WORK THE SAFETY THAT IS NOT THERE..ANY SUGGESTIONS.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP…

• Willy
      November 12, 2009 at 9:01 am #

If im not mistaken,(which I very well may be) its the Trigger pin youre talking about, and theyre about 2 dollars plus shipping if you order it online. just google it you’ll find plenty of sites that have it

45. Steve Pritchard
    July 5, 2009 at 2:08 am #

I Need detailed help on a Model 69 bolt assemblies. The Safety is on upside down,I need to know how the plunger and spring go in the bolt and how the rear safety is to go no ,Any help ..Thanks Steve

46. Evan
    July 14, 2009 at 2:05 am #

Parts are available at outback gun parts in nebraska if memory serves .Got a bolt for my 69 there yrs ago. thay have all the original tooling to build also. Happy hunting.

47. John
    August 26, 2009 at 9:22 pm #

Does anyone know where I could obtain an Owner’s Manual for the model 69?

48. Buddy
    August 30, 2009 at 5:15 am #

I bought a Winchester 69-A at a yard sale and it’s missing the Bolt and clip==Anyome have one they want to sell=Please contact me @TXBLACKCLOUD44@WMCONNECT.COM–Thanks

49. September 27, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Have barrel and action for a winchester model 69 with sights, need butt. plate ,stock, trigger guard, clip, and any thing else to make it complete.send your adress and price

50. "The Mechanic"
    October 26, 2009 at 8:24 pm #

Hi folks! I am finally getting around to rebuilding my much loved model 69A which my dad gave me for Christmas – brand new in the box back 1960 or 61 (after hounding him for many months to upgrade me to a repeater from a single shot J. C. Higgens I had been using for several years). Since that Christmas I have shot untold number of boxes of shells through it and to say it will drive tacks day in and day out is an understatment !
    For many years now my hands down favorite round has been the diminutive C B cap. CCI makes an amazingly accurate round in a full length case which I hollow point in my drill press. The big charm with this little round is that it makes next to no noise as the sub- sonic pellet leaves the 25 inch barrel. This I use exclusively for taking pigeons in my N. St. Louis neighborhood (of which there are no end). The birds roost in the large abandon factory behind my house after filling up on barge grain spilled around the loading areas at the river several blocks over. Hollow pointing the rounds is a must as otherwise the bullet passes right through a pigeon or starling almost always wounding the former.
    To increase my range and bring out the full potential of the long barrel I mounted a cheap plastic scope on it about ten years ago This I zeroed in at forty yards. At 100 yards the bullet drop with rifle slightly elavated to clear a lower factory wall is exactly one and a half bricks. Once gotten used to, just aim high according to distance and shoot.
    I have powdered so many pigeons over the years with the deadly 69A/CB cap combo that my neighbor, who hates bird droppings on his car and has offered to buy all my ammo for me, refers to me as “The Mechanic”. I am not sure what he means exactly but I think its a compliment!
    The only “accurizing” I ever did to the rifle was a glass bedding job several decades back after my buddy Rich dropped it out of a tree while shooting squirrels behind the Tivoli Theater across the alley from his house – lots of trees, lots of dumpsters, lots of squirrels! The stock snapped in half at the wrist which I glued back in place with Acra Glass and a couple of finish nails I used to pin things in place. Since I was messing with the Acra Glass I bedded the barrel and receiver the next day – though I could never tell if it made a difference. I also tinkered with the trigger spring tension screw to lighten the trigger pull. The really light pull I liked, proved to be extremely dangerous as it resulted in slam fires when working the bolt fast. Still you can lighten the pull some and be safe.
    I did mention at the beginning of this that I am rebuilding my rifle. Alas two years ago, a deck fire cause by the Weber grill, got into the open patio door where the rifle was kept handy. The stock got burnt and several springs obviously have no tension. The rest of it, made from serious steel, I have confidence in (anyone care to make some money by selling me a parts rifle?). I am going the fix-it-up route because no other rifle will do. My family right away got me a Ruger 10/22 to take the 69A’s place. No dice. I’ve never shot it – too short, too light, but worst of all absolutely no character. It’s an appliance not a rifle!
    This is a great site, I hope all of you guys use, appreciate, and enjoy your model 69′s and 69A’s as much as I have used and loved mine over the years.

51. November 8, 2009 at 6:04 am #

I stumbled across this blog and thought I would chime in.
    I also have a Winchester model 69 I got it about a year or so ago for $125.
    The stock is a little rough but not terrible. The blueing is not bad some minor pitting. But for a rifle that is this old I think it looks great. I got the 69 with a 5 round clip and a 10 round clip. My Wife loves shooting this little rifle. She is very good with it also. I cant remember where I read it but I believe the model 75 mag will work in the 69.

52. November 11, 2009 at 9:44 am #

need bolt assembly for a model 69. any help please e-mail

53. Willy
    November 12, 2009 at 8:49 am #

I have the 69A. I was looking for a 10 round magazine for the longest time and cant find one anywhere. and to bob above me, the mag fits the 52, 56, 57, 69, 69A & 75. so its not specific to this particular model.

I absolutely LOVE this rifle, It’s a BLAST to shoot and If you ever come across one, buy it. I got mine handed down by my grandfather before he passed away and since then Ive been to the range two or three times a month with it.

You’d probably be surprised but I have hit my mark at well over 200 yards with it. this is one amazing rifle.

54. Ken
    November 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

I came across this blog while doing a little research on my mdl 69. It seems like most everyone inherited theirs from father/grandfather and needs a clip!! Funny how that works. My father bought his mdl69 in the mid ’30′s for $5. I got it when he died some years back, missing the clip! My best memory of the gun is that when I returned home to Virginia from Viet Nam in 1969, the family was sitting in the living room and spotted a ground hog in the front field. Memory tells me that it was a downhill 80 yard shot. I grabbed the mdl 69, put one round in it and nailed the critter. My reputatiion was established! My brothers still talk about that shot.
    Anyway, nice gun. Keep up the good work.

55. Model 69 parts
    December 17, 2009 at 5:47 pm #

I have various parts for a 69 that I would sell. Also have 2 clips. Not sure if they are original, but they are Winchester. Please send a request with the price you would pay assuming the part is in good condition to jasfrank@hotmail.com. Put Model 69 in the subject line. thank you.

56. Russel
    December 24, 2009 at 7:46 pm #

I am looking for bolt assembly for a 69a and extra clips or magazines my came to me from my late father and the stock is broke but would love to be able to shoot this rifle. I did have the bolt at one time but it was broken in two pieces and gave to a gun smith and he was going to try to repair it for me but lost it instead I was mad, any help would be great thanks, Russel

57. Chris
    January 4, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

I have a model 69. It will misfire about every 5 rounds or so with a light hit on the primer. I can drop the magazine, recock and then it will usually fire. (That way the round doesn’t get extracted.

I just put 100 rounds through it in 20 degree weather and the misfire rate was pretty regular. I had tried spraying it with bore scrubber and that seemed to reduce the misfires.

Is there any way of trying to clean the bold without disassembling it?

About how much would it cost to have a smtih clean and work on the bolt?

What is the best lubrication if any? oil or breakfree or something else.

Would an ultrasonic cleaner work.?

Thanks folks. This was my grandfather’s rifle and I’m going to pass it on to my son so he will have his great grandfather’s .22

58. andrew
    January 5, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Chris,
    I am guessing that by mis-fire, you mean “fail to fire”–the firing pin divots the cartridge rim, but there’s no bang. Have you tried different types of ammo? Also, as with all pieces of machinery, the moving parts sometimes need being replaced and you might need a new firing pin and/or spring; http://www.e-gunparts.com is where I would go first.

59. Ron
    January 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I have a Model 69A is great shape with 5 and 10 shot clip and scope that I want to sell. If anyone is interested, let me know. I can send pictures and othere details.

• Richard Finney
      January 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

What do you want for the 69A, Please let me know. I need a Bolt and Clip for mine . So how much for all.TXBLACKCLOUD44@WMCONNECT.COM, P.S. I live In Grand Junction ,CO

• bill miller
      May 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

HELLO. I’M LOOKING FOR A 22 69 HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR YOURS LET ME KNOW.

• Robert
      December 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Hi Ron…read your post here and even if it is almost 2 yrs old…I would still be interested in any parts you have available for the M69A. I have a Model 69 and dont know how much different it is than my model. Mine is however pre-drilled for a scope and if they clips will interchange, would be interested in those as well. What are you asking for them?

Please give me a shout if you will… my email is rb9201 AT iwon.com

Thanks!
      Robert

60. Woody
    February 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm #

I just stumbled on the this site for the Winchester 69A. I’ve had one since I was a kid, since the early ’60s. I think I’m the original owner ? It came out of a store in Santa Cruz, Ca. It actually lived in a case under a bed in the spare room at my dads house since about 1970 or so, after I finished high school. Hasn’t been shot since. Dad passed away a while ago and it had been in my hall closet. My 14 year old son and I went to a gun show this past weekend, amoung other things we were looking for an extra clip for the 69A. At one point I had a 10 shot clip along with the original 5 shot clip. I found a vendor with original Winchester 10 shot clips but the $50.00 sticker turned me away. I didn’t know any better. In addition another vender had some reprops 5′s for $15.00. We are excited this is such a neat gun, with such a big following.
    WP

61. N
    March 1, 2010 at 10:00 am #

A Winchester 69-22 has just come into my possession. I have not shot it yet, but everything seems to be in great cosmetic condition. It has the peep sight instead of the open sights which the rifle in the above pictures has. What I am confused about is the safety. The 69A is supposed to have the safety on the receiver, the 69′s safety is the knob on the back of the bolt. The rifle I have does not have either of these safeties. Thank you in advance.

N

• andrew
      March 1, 2010 at 10:18 am #

Mine’s on the bolt. Can you post a pic? Peep sights rock. You’re going to have lots of fun.
      ac

62. Stephen
    March 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

I too have a 69 short/long/long rifle. Grandads uncle gave it to him, he gave it to me when I turned 13. Until recently I only had the SR mag for it. It will shoot a box of SR with maybe one misfire. I bought an aftermarket LR mag for it recently, have yet to have it fire a LR (even loading it single-shot). do the newer LR rounds require higher strike pressures from the pin? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
    Stephen

• March 16, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

I have yet experienced any light fire strikes on my 69. The pin contacts the casing very strong each time.

Derek

63. Allen
    April 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Just inherited a Winchester 22 rifle 16 gauge 2 3/4 inch chamber with “patent pending” sight and ammo clip.

I’m going about selling it, I think I’ll consign somewhere. How much should I expect?

64. Allen
    April 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Never mind my last comment… that was two different guns (I also inherited an old shotgun)! I’m still working through all of this.

The gun I inherited is a Winchester rifle model 69 – 22 short
    Long and Long Rifle with “patent pending” on the barrel and sight. It’s complete with the ammo clip.

How much should I expect to sell it for?

• bill miller
      May 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

$150.00

65. Brian Tetreault
    April 21, 2010 at 12:28 am #

Manuals for the model 69A, 72 and 75….
    Cornell Publications….19.95 plus shipping

66. William Norris
    April 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

I am looking for a stock for a model 69A. Suggestions?

67. Mr. Smith
    April 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

Winchester .22 Model 69-A-short-long-long rifle I am considering parting with. Good working condition, best target rifle I’ve ever had. Email me.

• bill miller
      May 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

HELLO. I’M LOOKING FOR A 69A WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOURS. LET ME KNOW.

68. Brian Tetreault
    April 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Mr. Smith,
    Does the safety work properly? Is there a magazine for the rifle? Does the ejector work properly? Is the reciever “grooved” for a scope?

If yes to all, then I would be interested. How much?

Thanks,
    Brian

• Mr. Smith
      April 30, 2010 at 6:13 am #

Yes. l love this rifle its my favorite acurate & reliable.

• Bart
      May 16, 2010 at 5:26 am #

I have this gun in excelent condition with a scope still has leather strap gun has been tooken care of through the years.

On the gun clip it says patent 1919 by the way

If anyone is interested in buying send me an email

• Bob
        January 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

Hey Bart,
        I saw your post from may of last year for a 69.
        I am sure it is gone by now, but thought I would
        take a chance and see.
        Thank,
        Bob

• John
        May 20, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Hi, do you still have the rifle.?

69. Brian Tetreault
    April 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

So….how much do you want for it????

70. Bart
    May 16, 2010 at 5:27 am #

On the gun clip it says patent 1919 by the way

If anyone is interested in buying send me an email

• Bart
      May 17, 2010 at 7:44 am #

I wa slooken for 400 bucks shipped since its in such good condition.Ive actualy seen on gor for 600 somthing.

Mine is complete in good working condition I have pics of the gun and can take more if asked.

71. big mike
    July 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

I have a model 69a and I cannot find a serial#.On the reciever there is a 4 on one side and star on the other. any help would be welcomed.thanks

• July 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

The Winchester 69 models do not have a serial number on them.

Derek

• Brian Tetreault
        July 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Derek,
        I have a 69A that has a 5 digit number stamped into the bottom of the barrel near the forearm screw. Would that be just a barrel stock lot number? I have a photo if you’d like to see it.

Brian

72. David
    July 7, 2010 at 11:27 am #

Hi there,

I recently inherited my uncles 69. It has the same rear sight as yours. I know others have a rear Lyman peep, but is it possible that it was an option? Clips are easy to find, but not the rear sight…

David

73. Ron VanBoxel
    September 6, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I have a model #69-22 short winchester I inherited from my dad. Any idea of its worth?

74. Brian Tetreault
    September 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

My 69A has a problem ejecting spent shells so I bought two (extractor and ejector) of them from Wisner’s and installed them today. Same problem. They extract but don’t eject.

Any suggestions? Derek? Anybody?
    Brian

• andrew
      October 1, 2010 at 8:53 am #

How is it failing? That may help diagnose the issue.

My bolt face pulls back about 3mm (3dimes) behind the front edge of the ejector. The point of the left extractor is about a mm ahead of the extractor face.
      Mine extracts pretty well, so although not a spec sheet gold standard, it’s a shiny silver.

Does this look remotely like the position you find your bolt face/extractor/ejector after you pull the bolt all the way back?

• Brian Tetreault
        October 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Andrew, thanks for the reply. I switched the extractor and the ejector in desperation. No dice. Then I re-installed the old ejector and installed the new extractor, which as you said is a mm ahead of the ejector. For whatever reason…it now works perfectly.

Thanks again,
        Brian

75. pat carol
    October 22, 2010 at 8:56 pm #

neat site. bought one (69) several yrs ago, forgot about it, dug it out—-very accurate!

76. jun niko bayle
    November 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

i have one of this model of rifle and im looking for its magazin

77. Brian
    November 24, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

I bought some mags from Cornell Publications for $19.95 each, + s&h

78. chris a
    January 9, 2011 at 10:26 am #

just recently purchased a model 69 winchester 22 that came with a weaver scope from the thirties can anyone tell me anything about the rifle and scope thanks in advance

79. John Beesley
    January 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Need new stock, butt plate & trigger guard for my Win. model 69. Help? Thanks, John 801-592-1309

80. andrew
    February 20, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Alexandre Frias,
    A palavra “pente” na ingles e “magazine” o “clip” Busce dentro as postas en cima de encontrar muitos ideas sobre compar-las.

Alexandre Frias,
    The word “pente” in English is “magazine” or “clip.” Search through the posts above to find many ideas on how to buy them.

va bem!

andrew

81. Ryan
    May 27, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I have a complete, unaltered condition model 69 minus the barrel, which is shot. Action/etc work fine. If anyone needs parts, give me a call and maybe we can work something out. (989) 780-2726

82. brent
    May 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

looking for clip mag for 69-a . any help would be appreciated.thankyou 813-838-6069.

83. grant
    July 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

I’m looking to sell my winchester 1919 bolt action rifle does anybody know where i can sell it?

• John Beesley
      November 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Grant, Is your Win. rifle still available? Tell me more about it. Thanks, John

84. Tony T.
    August 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

I found this while researching a magazine for my uncles model 69.

Model 69 Parts

Model 69A Parts

85. Nvthis1
    August 20, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Hi
    I just came across a model 69 is great condition. Price was right but it is missing 2 integral parts. The magazine and magazine receiver plus the two screws. Any body know where I can get them? Thanks for your help.

86. Nvthis1
    August 20, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Hi again,
    I forgot to mention that my model 69 is exclusively a .22 short. I have researched this and found it to be very uncommon and therefore more expensive due to these being a special order on .22 cal short. Thanks again.

87. maycon bohry
    September 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

quero com prar um carregador winchester mdo 69

88. andrew couch
    September 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

I let a friend borrow my rifle to go rabbit hunting and somehow one of my magazines has lost it’s magazine springs. How do you lose a mag spring but not the follower? It’s like an X-files case.

Magazines are not terribly expensive, I know, but I’m old school; I like to fix things.

If anyone has a magazine spring from a 10 round Winchester 69 magazine that is otherwise broken, I’d like to buy it.

thanks
    andrew

aircecil at yah oo dot com

• andrew couch
      September 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

correction, it’s a 5 round magazine that a need a spring for. thanks
      andrew

• andrew
        May 4, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Update: I just bought a generic pistol magazine spring from Wolff’s and cut to length. got it on the first try.

89. John Beesley
    November 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

I’m in the purchase mode for a Winchester model 69 in nice condition. Also, looking for an origional butt plate for the same. Any help our there. I’m in Utah. Thanks, John

• Know1
      January 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

I have a Model 57 for Sale.

All Original but missing mag.

$425
      Beaverton, Oregon

90. Gary Stahara
    August 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Hi. I’m looking to purchase a Model 69 that’s in good shape if anyone is looking to sell one? Thank you.

91. November 13, 2012 at 2:11 am #

Putting it back together I can’t get the cup and sping assembled into the firing pin assembly and the cap (fire/safe) reassembled.

• November 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

I’d love to help, Jane. Do you have photos of your progress?

92. December 1, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

I have a model69 Winchester for sale call 225 788 3384 or 225 916 9363 thanks

93. December 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm #

I have a model69 Winchester for sale call 225 788 3384 or 225 916 9363 thanks call

94. Dan
    January 5, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Hi. I have been looking for model 69a bolt. Can’t find anything anywhere. You know where to find one?

95. James Keyser
    February 13, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

I’m looking for the bolt for a model 69

96. D.L. Cote
    March 17, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Hey guys, your gonna love this:
    I just traded a ten year old used toilet, for the Winchester Model 69A Short, Long and Long Rifle!! The guy had just picked it up at a yard sale and didn’t want it! It is in completely original condition, looks to be hardly ever fired, has some pitting on the barrel and receiver, couple dings on the stock, and is really dirty. Has the Lyman rear peep, blade style front sight and original 5 round clip, Is missing the sling though. I can’t wait to clean it up and take it to the range. Pairs nicely with my Winchester ’94!

• ac
      March 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

killing me. It’s like finding gold nuggets on a hiking trail….
      Post some pics and let us know how she shoots!
      Nice find, mate

97. Maurílio
    April 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

Como eu fasso pra conseguir. um carregador para está carabina
    eu tenho uma mais não tem carregador e eu não consigo achar pra compra

1. Update on the Winchester 69 .22 bolt action « - January 15, 2009

[...] is likely to receive.  I went ahead and put together a casual assembly/disassembly guide for the Winchester 69 bolt.  Take a look!  It’s at the bottom of the [...]

2. Round Two « - April 14, 2009

[...] I first introduced her to the rifle, I handed her the Winchester 69.  She wasn’t a big fan of it because it can be difficult to cycle the bolt shut.  I took [...]

3. Twas a gewd day… « - June 5, 2009

[...]   I showed her the differences between semi-automatic pistols, revolvers and introduced her to the Winchester 69.  Her first experience was a good one, so she wanted to go again.  We were supposed to visit the [...]

4. First New Shooter of 2010 « - January 7, 2010

[...] brought the usual suspects:  Ruger MKIII 22/45, S&W Mod. 63, Ruger 10/22, and a Winchester 69.  I even brought a Les Baer TRP and a Glock 19 – just in case she wanted to try different [...]

5. New Shooter #2 of 2010 « - February 16, 2010

[...] shot several rounds out of a Ruger Mark III 22/45, Winchester 69 and Ruger 10/22 shooting from 5 yards, 25 ft and 25 yards, respectively.  I was impressed with his [...]

6. My 2010 year in blogging. « The Packing Rat - January 4, 2011